Here is a complete list of foods that budgies can eat:
- Seeds: Seeds are the staple of a budgie’s diet. A seed mix that contains a combination of millet, canary grass seed, and oats is a good base for their diet. You can also add some other seeds like sunflower seeds, safflower seeds, and hemp seeds for variety.
- Fruits: Fruits are essential for a budgie’s diet as they provide important vitamins and minerals. Some good choices include apples, bananas, berries, melons, and kiwis.
- Vegetables: Vegetables are also important for a budgie’s diet as they provide essential nutrients. Some good choices include broccoli, carrots, kale, spinach, and sweet potato.
- Proteins: Proteins are important for a budgie’s health, especially during breeding or molting periods. Good protein sources include hard-boiled eggs, mealworms, and cooked chicken.
- Pellets: Pellets are an alternative to seed mixes and offer a more balanced and complete diet. Pellets contain all the nutrients that a budgie needs, including vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
In addition to the foods mentioned above, there are a few other things that budgies can eat. Here is a list of additional options:
- Herbs: Budgies can eat herbs like parsley, cilantro, and basil. These herbs provide some important vitamins and minerals and also add flavor to your budgie’s diet.
- Grains: In addition to seeds, budgies can eat some grains like cooked brown rice and quinoa. These grains provide some carbohydrates and fiber to their diet.
- Nuts: While not a staple in their diet, budgies can enjoy some nuts like almonds, walnuts, and pistachios. Make sure to offer them in moderation as they are high in fat.
- Legumes: Some legumes like lentils and chickpeas can also be included in a budgie’s diet. These provide some protein and fiber.
While this list of foods can be a part of a budgie’s diet, they should still make up only a small portion of their overall food intake. The majority of their diet should come from a variety of seeds, fruits, and vegetables to ensure that they are getting all the nutrients they need. Additionally, always make sure to wash any fruits and vegetables thoroughly before serving them to your budgie to remove any pesticides or other chemicals that may be harmful.
It’s important to avoid feeding budgies toxic foods such as avocado, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, and sugary foods. Also, make sure to monitor your budgie’s weight and adjust their diet accordingly. If your budgie is overweight or underweight, consult with a veterinarian for advice on how to adjust their diet.